Tuesday, January 17, 2012

It's cold here

Seriously. It is. Cold. I type this with extremely frigid phalanges. Granted, I'm not talking Iowa winters with 20 below wind chills. Here, it usually drops into the 40's at night and is still usually warming up into the 60's during the day. I know many of you are now laughing at me for 'going soft' and calling that cold. Believe me, I know it's not even close to standing outside in the aforementioned wind chills. But, let me explain. Here, there are no 'furnaces' like we have back home. And everything is made of concrete, with tile floors. No insulation either. Which means that inside those big buildings and apartments, it iS COLD. It never warms up during the day. And if it does, it is gone the minute the sun goes down. The school gives us a small electric heater, and when one uses said heater, the electricity bill skyrockets. Since I pay for that out of my own pocket, I tend to just pile on more blankets and sleep in more layers. Currently, I'm clad in warm sweatpants, a long-sleeved t-shirt, 2 sweatshirts, and have a blanket on me. I really should put on gloves. I will sleep in this same attire, sans one of the sweatshirts due to the fact that I have 2 big blankets on my bed. At school, I keep one of those heaters under my desk, blasting directly on me.  And even with that, I typically wear a sweater and my coat all day. Most days, I try to eat lunch outside in the sun in order to warm up before going back inside.
I can't really come up with a good ending for this post. So I'm just going to end it. As randomly as I started it.

2 comments:

  1. Yeah I feel bad for ya... high of zero here tomorrow. Suck it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous...can you identify yourself? :) Yeah, I know. I'm trying.

    ReplyDelete