Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Thankful - 11

Today is Veteran's Day in the U.S. More commonly known as Armistice Day to the rest of the world. I can still remember being in high school and going to the yearly assembly where someone would speak to us about Veterans Day. I don't remember many of those speeches being earth-moving material. But that doesn't mean I didn't have an appreciation for the day. I come from a family of war veterans. Since the Junge men live forever, I was lucky enough to know my great-grandfather growing up. He was a World War 1 vet. His heavy wool uniform hung (might still be hanging?) in a case at the Legion Hall back home. I always thought that was pretty cool. My grandpa on my mom's side of family was in World War II. He didn't talk too much about the war. We did find out that his ship was bombed. But as the story goes, Grandpa wasnt on the ship when it happened because he had gotten into a fight (quite possibly some drinking was involved) that landed him in the stockade. I wish I had asked him about more stories.
And then there's my Dad. He enlisted in the US Navy during the Vietnam War and was thus on a ship around the Phillipines and Vietnam. I'm sure he still has some stories to tell as well.
I'm proud of my family serving in the military. Which is why my #ourthankful30 is this pic of my Dad and me.

No comments:

Post a Comment