Monday, February 17, 2014

That's a Lot of Sand

Day 17-   Photo: Something I never would have seen if I'd stayed home

Where do I even start? The ruins of Pompeii? Rome, with the Trevi Fountain, the Colosseum, etc.? Or perhaps the gorgeous Algarve coastal region of Portugal or the beauty of Madrid or Seville in Spain? Any of them would do the trick really. Because none of them are things I would have seen had my life continued on stateside. I guess maybe I would have made a point to get to Rome at some point in my life, but I'm not sure Spain or Portugal had crossed my mind much. But the place I most definitely had not considered, nor would have seen, was the Sahara Desert in the southeast part of Morocco.

It most definitely surpassed any previous ideas I had acquired while reading about it in social studies books as I went through school (ha ha) And? I got to experience it with my parents, and long-time family friends Jack and MaryAnn. I know they would all agree with me in saying that it was a once-in-a-lifetime type of trip. And they might even say it was worth having to listen to the awful Moroccan music that our driver kept playing while driving rapidly along the winding roads of the Atlas Mountains. The jury is still out on whether it was the music or the elevation/winding roads that caused a few of our crew to get car sick.

A photo prompt needs photos, so without further adieu, I present: The Sahara






One of my favorite pics

Iowans on camels in the Sahara. Very cool.




Sunset dividing line


No photo shop needed - perfect dune



Looking at mountains of sand. A once-in-a-lifetime experience

...because none of this would have been possible without these guys. (wink)


No comments:

Post a Comment