Tuesday, February 4, 2014

A Look Back

Day 4: Look at the 5th post you ever wrote on this blog. In hindsight, what do you think about your frame of mind and your writing?

My 5th post occurred on August 21, 2010. I had been living in Morocco for about a week. Reading all of those early posts actually makes me giggle a bit. I was so in awe of everything, it seems. Which is good I guess. With it being my first international travel of any sort, it shows that I was paying attention and trying to learn and take it all in. 

My frame of mind was clearly one of inquiry, interest, and a lot of naivety. But also that of an informant of sorts. I was writing my blog for an audience of people who would likely never travel to a place even remotely like Morocco. This included friends, family, friends of my family, etc. So it was sort of like my little version of helping or allowing others to 'live vicariously...'.  I think that comes out in my early blogs. It definitely shifted a bit later on and I think that when the newness wore off for me, my blogging tapered off as well. I found myself just DOing it, living it. It became my home, and my 'normal' from day to day, so the purpose for writing changed.

The 5th post was actually about couscous. It is a very traditional dish in Morocco - kind of like the 'Sunday Roast' was in the midwest (or at least Iowa. Or maybe that was just my family?). I wrote  all about how they traditionally eat it with their hands, rolling the meat and vegetables into the couscous, etc. I took pictures at different stages.
I remember that evening and how 'interesting' everything seemed to me. It was all so different, and I wanted to learn as much as I could.

 It's funny how being in this international gig for even just a couple of years changes you. While I'm still interested in things like this, I think the shock and awe has definitely worn off some. Now things like that are more just something to take in stride - still a learning experience, but not as awe-inspiring maybe? I think the funniest part of the blog is that I said it was 'delicious' at the end. I ate couscous several times after that and decided I'm really not a big fan. I guess it's not just perceptions that change. ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment