Tuesday, January 4, 2011

On a positive note...

Upon my arrival at my apartment via Mohammed-the-driver, I was greeted with a cheery note from my friend Jenny welcoming me back and informing me that she packed me a lunch for school today and that it was in my fridge. How awesome is that? She's a great neighbor and friend. She was also my communication device with Mohammed so that he wasn't waiting for me at the airport.

And then today at school, I was greeted with smiles and hugs from the kids, my assistant, and fellow teachers. One girl brought me back a beautiful seashell from her vacation to some beautiful island and many asked about my family. They want to see pictures of the snow. :)  But the best part was at our morning assembly that we have on Tuesdays. Some of my students were helping our principal on stage with a presentation about New Year's and resolutions. She asked them if they had made any resolutions, and of course they all raised their hands whether they actually had or not. Eventually she asked if any of them wanted to share their resolutions. One of my students volunteered. I'll call him Amir. Because that's actually his name. I doubt he reads my blog and his parents don't speak English, so I doubt they read this either. Anyway, Amir raised his hand to share his resolution. He said that his resolution is to "Work his best and keep his dear teacher happy."  It was priceless, especially coming from Amir. 'Keep your dear teacher happy' is one of our Power Rules in the classroom, and also one of the rules that Amir had a hard time with at the beginning of the year. However, he and I have hit our stride and he was grinning from ear to ear on that stage. Sucking up? Maybe. But, he definitely made me happy.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment